Three Mile Island Camp, an Appalachian Mountain Club facility, on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH is seeking an Off Season Manager (OSM). Three Mile is a rustic camp that occupies the entirety of a 43-acre island in the northwest corner of the lake. Three Mile Island is a community rich in tradition. Campers, both during the summer and fall seasons, come to the island to experience community and solitude, activity and relaxation, and the beauty of their surroundings. A key role of the OSM is to facilitate a smooth transition prior to camp opening in the summer and its closing in late fall.
The OSM is responsible for managing TMI from the day summer camp ends in late August until it reopens in June. Facilitating a smooth transition to and from the summer camp season is a key responsibility of the OSM. This is accomplished primarily by overseeing a strong cadre of volunteers committed to preserving the volunteer-managed facility model.
Description: The OSM is responsible for the overall management of the off-season period at TMI. (The TMI off season consists of last day of summer camp when croo leaves island to day before Croo Week begins.) The priorities for this position are to:
- Serve as the gatekeeper for all off-season use of the island, including approval of all off-season use of TMI.
- Collaborate with the Programs Committee for effective implementation of any new mid-week programs during fall season.
- Partner with the TMI Maintenance Subcommittee/Chair to schedule off-season work.
- Work together with Summer Manager(s) to make sure that all appropriate preparations are made for fall season. (OSM will either meet with or talk via phone sometime in August around the 7th week to plan the summer closing with the Summer Managers.)
- Attend the Fall Closing/Committee weekend meeting and be asked to participate in the Winter and Spring meetings as appropriate, depending on agenda items/projects.
- Have an overall knowledge of the physical, environmental,and social working of Three Mile Island Camp.
- Committed to the TMI culture and values.
- Ability to interact well with campers, staff, and volunteers.
- Enjoys coming to the island and getting involved in organizing our regularly scheduled events.
- Has a sincere interest and/or knowledge of TMI infrastructure.
- Willingness to work with others and encourage active participation among camp audiences: croo, campers, committee members, volunteers, AMC staff.
- An interest and expertise in organizing, coordinating events, programs, and/or groups of people.
- Has a basic understanding of working with volunteers.
- Enthusiasm for, patience and understanding of working with a volunteer-driven organization.
- Basic understanding of fiscal management.
- Ability to identify and work with key vendors to provide services to island.
We encourage interested candidates to explore our web site and to read the complete job description. For the right person, this is the best job in the world! To apply, please send a resume, accompanied by a cover letter discussing your interest in serving as the Off Season Manager, your qualifications for working with volunteers, and three references to:Heidi W. Barker
Team Leader — Search Committee
59 Gore Rd.
Lancaster, NH 03584
Review of applications will begin April 15th.